Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Opportunities…

Sometimes, as Army wives, it may seem like our stories go unnoticed. I know… I have felt that way too. There are those rare opportunities, though, when someone gives us the chance to make our story real for those who may not "get it ". This week, I have been given one of those rare opportunities… the chance to show the world how we live. So, in typical me fashion, I lifted the flood gates, and began looking for those people who have a good story to tell. I cannot begin to describe the many Army wives I encountered. Ladies who want the world to know that, although this life can be rough, it is such an amazing opportunity to really "live" life.

In my research, I encountered women who have been through five deployments since 2003, women who have lost friends and loved ones in this war, women who have never experienced a deployment but still feel the tremendous impact on their communities. These stories are inspirational to say the very least. Sometimes I look at life only from the inside out; this story gave me an opportunity to view this life from the outside in. These gracious women have opened their hearts, and allowed me a glimpse at their honest, humble, patriotic lives. While looking for these stories, I spoke with many an Army wife who has a completely negative opinion of the war in Iraq; call it what you will… to me, if good men and women are dying for my freedom, it is a war. It was hard to not form a biased opinion of these spouses, but I realized that by doing so, I would contribute to their negative attitudes and outlooks. If I have said it once, I have said it a million and one times… we live a very unique life. Embrace it, and make the most of it; we only have one life to live.

To those of you who feel scared to tell your story, I completely understand. My only option in life is to tell anyone and everyone I can about this life. The more we "hide", the less the world will really know. I personally do not want to leave it up to the biased media outlets to interpret my life the way they feel necessary. I feel that it is my duty as an Army wife, past, present and future, to show the world that our lives are real and, if nothing else, inspirational. We have a choice in life… to live life to the fullest or to find the negatives in each and every aspect. I choose to live fully; if that means inspiring others to do so, then so be it. Please tell your story… leave your legacy for those who will surely follow in your footprints.

No comments:

Post a Comment